One more thing



And one more thing:

Quisquis huc accedes
Quod tibi horrendum videtur
Mihi amoenum est
Si dilectat maneas
Si taedat abeas
Utrumque gratum


You who come here
Whoever you are
What may seem horrible to you
Is fine for me
If you like it stay
If it bores you go
I couldn’t care less.


(From the inscription that appears in Latin on a marble plaque at the entrance to Cardinal Chigi’s 17th century Villa Cetinale, at Sovicelli in Tuscany, discovered and translated by John Julius Norwich in “Still More Christmas Crackers – 1990-1999,” [Viking, Penguin Group UK]).




Friday, March 9, 2012

Excerpts from my reporting on Kony & LRA


Following are excerpts from my reporting on Joseph Kony and the LRA in Southern Sudan and Northern Uganda in 2005. The complete articles are on my blog www.buggerthebooboisie.blogspot.com.

Lilly Atek, 23, once beat to death a 10-year-old girl and has participated in the fatal beatings and shootings of others. She wants to be forgiven.
Geoffrey Torac, 28, has beaten to death several people. He asks for forgiveness.
  Francis Olanya, 18, has killed too many people to remember the number. Once, he was forced to kill a man and drink his victim's blood. He asks forgiveness. 
                                      ********


One day, Sunday Lalam said, she and four others were ordered to beat to death a boy her own age from her village because he had become too weak and was a burden.
 "I felt sad because I knew him, but they would have killed me if I did not do it. I have killed many people."  

No comments:

Post a Comment